Wednesday 27 June 2012

Early days of carving


I first began carving after mentioning to someone that I'd studied sculptor and photography at art college. They were after a series of carvings so I said I would have a go at them. I bought a book on woodcarving,got hold of the chisels the book recommended and got started. The first carvings I did were relief carvings, wall mounted work. Here are some of my first pieces. The dove and the St George were part of that first series, based on 12 words which it was left up to me to interpret.They were among the last of that series and I'd gained some experience of carving by the time I came to do these two.




St. George and the Dragon, from a painting in Gondar, Ethiopia. Carved in Lime wood, approximately 50 cm in height and painted in acrylics.


Dove, carved in Lime wood, approximately 50 cm wide, painted in oils.


King David, taken from a detail of an Ethiopian painting, carved in Lime wood, approximately 10 cm high, painted in acrylics. This went first to the foothills of Kilimanjaro. I think it's in Addis Ababa now.


Taken from paintings on the ceiling of a church in Gondar,Ethiopia. Carved in Lime wood, approximately 10 cm high, painted in acrylics. Now in West Virginia. The Byzantine influence is clear in some of these pieces but with a sweet twist with the Ethiopian style.



More angels from the ceiling of Debre Birhan Selassie Church in Gondar Ethiopia. Carved in Lime wood, approximately 10 cm high,painted in acrylics. These went to a gallery in Amsterdam. From there, who knows...



This wall carving was a commission for a lady who, after many years and nearly giving up hope, finally had the child she so wanted. Her daughter was called Grace for that reason. I carved this Sycamore leaf in Sycamore wood as it suited the colour of an autumn leaf, as she only had her daughter  in the autumn of her fertile years. Now in Dorset, I think.  Lettering painted with gold metallic paint. Approximately 35-40 cm wide.



St Mark, taken from an Ethiopian painting, carved in Lime wood, painted in acrylics. Approximately 30 cm high. Now in Dulwich, south London.

More early work to follow..........





1 comment: